Senior Data Engineer
Thrive is a leading behavior change B2B SaaS company founded by Arianna Huffington in 2016 with the mission to end the stress and burnout epidemic. Thrive helps individuals and organizations improve well-being, performance, and mental resilience with its AI-powered behavior change technology platform. Thrive’s Microsteps — small, science-backed steps to improve health and productivity — have been adopted by employees at more than 125 organizations in over 140 countries. We’re leading the global conversation around well-being and performance, developing products and programs that help people go from knowing what to do to actually doing it.
As a Data Engineer at Thrive, you will be a foundational architect and developer of a cloud data processing platform for a high-growth startup. That platform must handle a variety of sources, including but not limited to streams from clicks, taps, and sensors. Similarly, a mixture of data consumers are on the output side of the data platform. In addition to the executive suite and business analysts, you will be developing the system underlying Thrive’s data science efforts which, ultimately, feed back into the product for our end users. This challenge will exercise the entire range of your skillset as an engineer—which includes not only programming, but also the ability to gather requirements from stakeholders across the business to create a data engineering roadmap.
Who You Are:
- A self-starter who enjoys taking initiative
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is flexible, and has high energy to get work done
- Someone with a passion for changing the way people work and live with demonstrated interest in topics like well-being, productivity, neuroscience, behavioral sciences, and performance
How You'll Contribute:
- Assess current processes and designs, and drive the adoption of best practices for data processing, modeling, and lake/warehouse development
- Architect and build a scalable data processing platform that supports batch, streaming, & ETL workloads
- Work with our Data Science team to lay the foundation for AI & ML model building, release, and management
- Build core internal tooling for the data engineering team and be an evangelist for quality software engineering, with a focus on testability, reliability, and maintainability
- Perform all of the above in compliance with Thrive’s privacy and security constraints, including SOC 2, HIPAA, and GDPR
- 3+ years of experience building distributed systems in a Data Engineering role; experience within a high-growth start-up environment is preferred
- Hands-on experience building data processing platforms in a cloud environment ( Azure, or GCP), as well as the pipelines built on top of them.
- Terraform experience will be something you will handle as our team runs the data platform infrastructure.
- Experience with modern business intelligence and product reporting tools (e.g. Looker) is useful.
- Experience with creating high-quality, fast services and workflows in Python—both homegrown and on top of frameworks such as Dagster/Airflow.
- A deep fluency in SQL is a must and knowledge of dbt would be a plus.
What We Offer:
- Being part of a mission-driven company that’s truly making a difference in the lives of people around the world
- Ability to develop within the company and shape our growth strategy
- A human-centric culture with a range of wellness perks and benefits
- A competitive compensation package
- Medical, dental and vision coverage + 401k program with company match
- Generous paid time-off programs
Thrive’s mission is to end the stress and burnout epidemic by offering companies and individuals sustainable, science-based solutions to enhance well-being, performance, and purpose, and create a healthier relationship with technology. Recent science has shown that the pervasive belief that burnout is the price we must pay for success is a delusion. We know, instead, that when we prioritize our well-being, our decision-making, creativity, and productivity improve dramatically. Thrive is committed to accelerating the culture shift that allows people to reclaim their lives and move from merely surviving to thriving.
Compensation for this role depends on level, and will likely fall in the $155,000-170,000 range. We provide a competitive mix of salary, performance bonus, and equity.