Scrum Master, Project Manager
Essential Duties and Functions
• Exhibits Lean-Agile leadership – Exhibits the behaviors of a Lean-Agile Leader with a Lean-Agile Mindset. Helps the team embrace SAFe Core Values, adopt, and apply SAFe Principles, and implement SAFe practices.
• Supports the team rules – The rules of an Agile Team are lightweight, but they are rules nonetheless, and the Scrum Master is responsible for reinforcing them. These may include the rules of Scrum, Built-In Quality practices from Extreme Programming (XP), Work in Process (WIP) limits from Kanban, and any other process rules the team has agreed.
• Facilitates the team’s progress toward team goals – The Scrum Master is trained as a team facilitator and is continuously engaged in challenging the old norms of development to improve performance in the areas of quality, predictability, flow, and velocity. Assisting the product owner(s) in maintaining and prioritization of the product backlog. They help the team focus on daily and Sprint Goals in the context of the current Program Increment (PI) Objectives.
• Leads team efforts in relentless improvement – Helps the team improve and take responsibility for their actions; facilitates the team retrospective. Teaches problem-solving techniques and helps the team become better problem-solvers for themselves.
• Facilitates events – Facilitates team meetings, including (where applicable) the Daily Stand-up, Backlog Refinement, Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, and Sprint Retrospective.
• Eliminates impediments – Many blocking issues will be beyond the team’s authority or may require support from other teams. The Scrum Master supports the team in addressing and eliminating these issues to improve the likelihood of achieving the objectives of the Sprint.
• Promotes SAFe quality practices – SAFe provides guidance to assist the teams in constantly improving the quality of their deliverables and meeting the Definition of Done (DoD). The Scrum Master helps foster the culture of technical discipline and craftsmanship that is the hallmark of effective Agile teams.
• Builds a high-performing team – Focuses on ever-improving team dynamics and performance. Helps the team manage interpersonal conflicts, challenges, and opportunities for growth. Escalates people problems to management where necessary, but only after internal team processes have failed to resolve the issue; helps individuals and teams through personnel changes.
• Responsibilities on the train – The Scrum Master helps coordinate inter-team cooperation and helps the team operate well on the train.
• Coordinates with other teams – The Scrum Master supports the team’s efforts to continuously improve communications and relationships with other teams. They frequently represent the team in the Scrum of Scrums (SoS), helping the team remain aware of opportunities to engage and improve program effectiveness. They also often help the team build effective relationships - with the System Team, User Experience, Architecture, and Shared Services.
• Supports SAFe adoption – The Scrum Master supports the overall adoption of SAFe across the enterprise by coaching stakeholders and other non-agile teams on effective interactions with agile teams, participating in the Scrum Master Community of Practice, and supporting the organization’s SPCs.
• Enables organizational effectiveness – The Scrum Master works with other Scrum Masters and stakeholders to help the team contribute towards improving the overall development Value Stream.
• Facilitates preparation and readiness for ART events – Assists the team in preparation for ART activities, including PI Planning, System Demos, and the Inspect and Adapt.
• Supports estimating – Guides the team in establishing normalized estimates and helps the team understand how to estimate Features and Capabilities.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree or other four year degree with significant IS experience OR equivalent experience.
• 5-7 years’ experience supporting technical projects, such as software development and delivery, as a Scrum Master or Project Manager. SAFe Scrum or higher Certified preferred.
• An Agile mindset: A mindset that see learning opportunities from issues and failures and a belief that our skills and ability evolve and improve with effort over time.
• Thorough knowledge of Scrum framework and application of core Agile values and principles in managing Product Development and Delivery, SAFe Agile preferred.
• Healthcare IT experience preferred.
• 3-5 years’ experience working with Jira to manage team sprints and commitments.
• Exposure to modern engineering practices like Unit Test-Driven Development, Acceptance Test-Driven Development and Continuous Integration
• Experience in successfully delivering medium/large size projects with minimal direction
• Strong presentation skills as well as good written/oral skills
• Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize workloads
• Ability to transfer knowledge to staff with different backgrounds, educational experiences and learning styles
• Excellent planning and organizational skills
• Excellent telephone and customer service skills
• Strong knowledge of MS Office products
As a leading payments company in healthcare, we guide, price, explain, and pay for care on behalf of insurers and their members. We’re Zelis in our pursuit to align the interests of payers, providers, and consumers to deliver a better financial experience and more affordable, transparent care for all. We partner with more than 700 payers, including the top-5 national health plans, BCBS insurers, regional health plans, TPAs and self-insured employers, over 4 million providers, and 100 million members, enabling the healthcare industry to pay for care, with care. Zelis brings adaptive technology, a deeply ingrained service culture, and a comprehensive navigation through adjudication and payment platform to manage the complete payment process.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
At Zelis, we champion diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in all aspects of our operations. We embrace the power of diversity and create an environment where people can bring their authentic and best selves to work. We know that a sense of belonging is key not only to your success at Zelis, but also to your ability to bring your best each day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Zelis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, even if you do not believe you 100% fit the qualifications of the position, including women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, and people with disabilities.
We are dedicated to ensuring our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and require a reasonable accommodation with any part of the application and/or interview process, please email TalentAcquisition@zelis.com
SCAM ALERT: There is an active nationwide employment scam which is now using Zelis to garner personal information or financial scams. This site is secure, and any applications made here are with our legitimate partner. If you’re contacted by a Zelis Recruiter, please ensure whomever is contacting you truly represents Zelis Healthcare. We will never asked for the exchange of any money or credit card details during the recruitment process. Please be aware of any suspicious email activity from people who could be pretending to be recruiters or senior professionals at Zelis.