Director, Software Engineering
Essential Duties & Functions:
- Delivers finished, high quality, and compelling software products.
- Builds and leads engineering groups, contractors, and third-party vendor development projects.
- Works closely with product managers to ensure development meets or exceeds requirements and ensures that product designs are well documented and communicated.
- Provides sound decision making for software engineering and product development remaining sensitive to the constraints and needs of the business.
- Drives overall architecture and security of the website and products.
- Manages the group software engineering schedules.
- Monitors technology trends such as emerging standards for new technology opportunities.
- Develops and executes software engineering plans.
- Ensures and creates as needed software engineering processes, practices, and operations to ensure reproducible development and high quality while keeping costs under control.
- Engages in hands-on in depth analysis, review, and design of the software including technical review and analysis of source code including reviews of in-house developed code as well as review of technologies provided by third party vendors.
- Manages one subordinate supervisor who supervises a total of four employees. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Also directly supervises five non-supervisory employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Monitors and adjusts the direction and priorities of engineering teams to ensure progress towards organizational goals
- Owns both failures and successes; evaluates tactics leading to these outcomes
- Transparent about status and risk
- Understands the technical abilities within the teams and works with managers and others to develop teams to meet the technical needs of the business.
- Understands technical challenges, asks probing questions, removes impediments, and helps guide teams to prudent decisions that are aligned with engineering and business goals.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of modern web application technologies.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) from four-year college or university; and eight to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in Healthcare industry preferred
- Fluent with Microsoft Office Suite, Ruby, Angular, Java, React, .Net, C#
- Ability to work in high-pressure situations
- Ability to mentor others
- Ability to accept constructive criticism
- Knowledge of agile principles
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices
- Experience leading offshore teams
- Sedentary work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects in daily work use (laptop, monitors, et. al). Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Use of keyboards (typing) and exposure to computer screens occurs daily. Pleasant work environment in office locations with occasional noise or dust.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; think; and talk or hear (multi-channel, two way communication during work hours is required).
As a leading payments company in healthcare, we guide, price, explain, and pay for care on behalf of insurers and their members. We’re Zelis in our pursuit to align the interests of payers, providers, and consumers to deliver a better financial experience and more affordable, transparent care for all. We partner with more than 700 payers, including the top-5 national health plans, BCBS insurers, regional health plans, TPAs and self-insured employers, over 4 million providers, and 100 million members, enabling the healthcare industry to pay for care, with care. Zelis brings adaptive technology, a deeply ingrained service culture, and a comprehensive navigation through adjudication and payment platform to manage the complete payment process.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
At Zelis, we champion diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in all aspects of our operations. We embrace the power of diversity and create an environment where people can bring their authentic and best selves to work. We know that a sense of belonging is key not only to your success at Zelis, but also to your ability to bring your best each day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Zelis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, even if you do not believe you 100% fit the qualifications of the position, including women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, and people with disabilities.
We are dedicated to ensuring our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and require a reasonable accommodation with any part of the application and/or interview process, please email TalentAcquisition@zelis.com
SCAM ALERT: There is an active nationwide employment scam which is now using Zelis to garner personal information or financial scams. This site is secure, and any applications made here are with our legitimate partner. If you’re contacted by a Zelis Recruiter, please ensure whomever is contacting you truly represents Zelis Healthcare. We will never asked for the exchange of any money or credit card details during the recruitment process. Please be aware of any suspicious email activity from people who could be pretending to be recruiters or senior professionals at Zelis.