Edge Compute Lead
Edge Compute Lead
Oct 5, 2023
SailPlan is a cutting-edge technology company that is dedicated to transforming the future of maritime transportation. Founded in 2019, the company is on a mission to make shipping more sustainable by reducing its carbon footprint and ensuring that it becomes NetZero. SailPlan offers a range of innovative solutions and services that enable its clients to optimize their operations and reduce their environmental impact.
SailPlan works with some of the most important names in the shipping industry to deliver a cleaner future for the world. SailPlan’s team comprises of experts with a diverse range of skills and experience, including naval architects, data scientists, and software engineers. The company’s collaborative and dynamic work culture fosters innovation and creativity, allowing the team to develop cutting-edge solutions that drive the industry forward. By combining state-of-the-art technology and a commitment to sustainability, SailPlan is leading the way towards a greener and more efficient maritime industry.
At SailPlan, you will be part of a fast-growing team, will wear many hats and have ownership over building key aspects of our platform. You will work within a collaborative environment to build the next generation of technology for the maritime industry.
If you think you have the right stuff, we are looking for YOU.
Role Description and Responsibilities
SailPlan is hiring an Edge Compute Lead to lead the development, support and maintenance of our suite of services on our various maritime platforms. As the Edge Compute Lead, you will lead a team of engineers, leveraging your expertise in embedded software development, PCB design, sensor integration, and embedded component selection to ensure the success of our solutions.
- Lead a multidisciplinary team of engineers, providing guidance and expertise in embedded hardware and software development for IoT edge data solutions in the maritime domain.
- Develop and maintain embedded software solutions, including Python applications, for data collection, analysis, and communication within the maritime IoT ecosystem.
- Lead the design and layout of printed circuit boards (PCBs) for vessel systems, ensuring optimal performance, reliability, and manufacturability. Take a design from schematic to firmware implementation
- Collaborate with the team to integrate various sensors and peripherals into our embedded hardware platforms, ensuring seamless data acquisition and accuracy.
- Oversee the selection of embedded components, including microcontrollers, sensors, and communication modules, taking into consideration performance, power efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.
- Design and implement efficient edge-based data transmission and storage solutions
- Develop highly durable and fault-tolerant code, ensuring the robustness of embedded systems in challenging maritime conditions.
- Manage project timelines, resources, and budgets, ensuring on-time and on-budget delivery of embedded solutions.
- Implement rigorous testing and validation processes to guarantee the reliability and robustness of our embedded systems.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and industry trends, identifying opportunities for innovation and improvement.
Core Requirements and Qualifications
- Experience with SCRUM/Agile engineering management processes to lead cross-functional teams
- 7+ years of experience in embedded hardware and software development, with a preferred focus on the maritime or IoT industry
- Proficiency in embedded software development (C/C++, Python, Rust)
- Strong understanding of component selection and trade studies for embedded systems
- Experience with embedded systems hardware, including microcontrollers, sensors and peripherals
- Experience building software platforms for communications networks and/or IoT products
- Familiarity with low-level development on RTOS
- Understanding of IoT principles, including communication protocols and cloud integration
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate technical ideas and direction across the organization with a focus on quick and agile problem solving.
- Be awesome, friendly, and continue to make SailPlan a great place to work.
- Experience working at a startup or on a small, fast-moving team.
- Startup experience
- Enjoys the water and being on and around boats
Other information or Special Requirements
This is a full time position. US citizen or work permit required.