Sep 14, 2023
SailPlan is a cutting-edge technology company that is dedicated to transforming the future of maritime transportation. Founded in 2019, the company is on a mission to make shipping more sustainable by reducing its carbon footprint and ensuring that it becomes NetZero. SailPlan offers a range of innovative solutions and services that enable its clients to optimize their operations and reduce their environmental impact.
SailPlan works with some of the most important names in the shipping industry to deliver a cleaner future for the world. SailPlan’s team comprises of experts with a diverse range of skills and experience, including naval architects, data scientists, and software engineers. The company’s collaborative and dynamic work culture fosters innovation and creativity, allowing the team to develop cutting-edge solutions that drive the industry forward. By combining state-of-the-art technology and a commitment to sustainability, SailPlan is leading the way towards a greener and more efficient maritime industry.
At SailPlan, you will be part of a fast-growing team, will wear many hats and have ownership over building key aspects of our platform. You will work within a collaborative environment to build the next generation of technology for the maritime industry.
If you think you have the right stuff, we are looking for YOU.
Role Description and Responsibilities
We are seeking a detail-oriented Controller to oversee our company’s financial operations. The ideal candidate will have a robust background in accounting, with experience in more senior roles, understanding the unique challenges and pace of the startup environment, especially in the tech sector. As our Controller, you will initially manage a team of outsourced accountants, with the exciting opportunity to build and develop an in-house accounting team over time.
Core Requirements and Qualifications
- Oversee all accounting operations, including billing, AR, AP, GL, cost accounting, and revenue recognition.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget, financial forecasts, and report variances.
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to convey financial information across departments and executive leadership.
- Proven problem-solving capabilities, identifying financial discrepancies or inefficiencies.
- Strategic thinking and alignment with the company’s mission and values.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to lead a team, make decisions, and provide direction
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation highly valued.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of progressive accounting or financial experience.
- Prior roles should include Senior Accountant, Accounting Manager, Assistant Controller, or Controller.
- Experience in technology startups, maritime, shipping, environmental technology, or related industries is a plus.
Other information or Special Requirements
This is a full time position. US citizen or work permit required.