Manager, Premium Audit
As one of our in-house workers’ comp experts, you’ll help Pie to lead and guide the audit program. You will continue to fine tune audit processes with an eye towards crafting lean processes; all while improving and automating the audit journey for our customers and partners. As the Premium Audit Manager, you will use your leadership experience to mentor existing Pie-oneers (employee relations and development), as well as recruit and hire new team members for your expanding department. As a manager you will lead through setting clear expectations, performance measurements, and coaching discussions; driving business outcomes that connect to overall Pie objectives and key results. You will also have key involvement in loss control, audit billing, and aged receivable functions, working to continually enhance and automate these functional areas.
How You’ll Do It
Oversee Areas of Premium Audit, Loss Control & Collections
- Manage both internal as well as external/vendor audit, loss control, and collection functions through team leads and individual contributors.
- Effectively lead by relying on and creating best practices, monitoring and understanding industry trends, and advising team members on moderately complex matters.
- Ensure quality processing of audits and communications to customers and partners, analyzing book results and assignment mechanisms with the Analytics team.
- Manage and cultivate diverse vendor relationships, working closely with account managers and vendor leadership to promote best in class service and quality deliverables.
- Oversee test audit and bureau inspection processes; ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements as well as tracking test audit results by state.
Strategy and Process Improvement
- Serves as a top subject matter expert on Premium Audit processes for internal and cross-functional needs.
- Independently develops and manages operational initiatives, experiments, and improvements to deliver results and positive outcomes.
- Works with Leadership to identify opportunities and strategies to ensure the teams can achieve their goals in service of the department and Pie's overarching OKRs.
- Uses independent evaluation, judgment, and interpretation to select the right course of action.
Management of Team
- Establish benchmarks and KPIs to ensure proper performance of team members and vendors.
- Manages daily business performance and productivity to ensure processes are within appropriate service levels.
- Leverage process improvement and optimization of existing processes.
- Manages onboarding, ongoing, and offboarding needs of team members. Coordinates training strategy and identifies training areas for team member success.
- Serves as the top level point of contact for audit issues, complaints, and escalations; acting as subject matter expert and business stakeholder advocate within Pie. Requires professional maturity, clear communication, customer empathy, and an owner attitude.
The Right Stuff
- High School Diploma required, Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3+ years Workers’ Compensation Premium Audit experience required.
- 4+ years leadership experience, with proven ability to lead and scale mid-sized teams. Advanced experience leading teams through complex or rapidly changing deliverables and priorities.
- Strong communications skills: Advanced communication (written, verbal and presentation) skills, to deliver complex information effectively and align people with the needs of the project/team.
- Advanced problem solving skills, to be able to manage complex situations with multiple layers, and resolve to solution anticipating needs now and into the future.
- Developed Interdependence: Advanced awareness of workflow, and project tradeoffs to make decisions based on needs now and into the future.
- Highly process oriented - demonstrated process improvement, building effective work processes, building reporting and metrics.
- Strong customer service/success experience background, proven record of exceeding customer's needs, anticipating their needs, managing escalated customer issues, staying calm and helping serve customers.
- Highly efficient, strong ability in prioritization of own work, as well as communicating priorities to direct reports to ensure teams are meeting objectives against set deadlines.
- Proficient in G-Suite Tools, Slack, Salesforce highly preferred. Experience with Stripe, Insurity, Corvel, and Bureau sites is a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 15% to vendor sites and/or Pie offices.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.