Insurance Product Manager - Commercial Auto
The Product Manager is responsible for the Profit & Loss in assigned product lines and territories. They have ownership over product design/pricing, regulatory compliance, and distribution, along with a focus on quantitative analytics for measuring profitability. The role is responsible for measuring and monitoring how the business metrics are performing in a given timeframe and identifying trends - looking at product mix, quote and conversion level, claims frequency, as well as retention. The Product Manager is working closely with the technical product management team to build and improve systems to ensure a great customer/agent experience, as well as, allow for efficient and compliant operations.
How You’ll Do It
Oversight of Product & Pricing
- Using ISO (Insurance Standards Office) tools and other industry resources for foundational product and pricing structuring and building upon it with additional telematic layers.
- Working with pricing analysts to analyze competitive market (street) rates to structure Pie’s new lines.
- Using a systematic approach to automate the UW process.
- Research and identify new or underserved markets for growth opportunities.
- Define and refine the pricing approach in assigned territories, considering risk assessment, loss ratios, and market dynamics to achieve profitable growth.
- Manage the product development lifecycle, from ideation to launch, by defining product features, creating business requirements documents, and coordinating with internal stakeholders to ensure timely delivery.
- Lead the planning and execution of new state rollouts against the product strategy, ensuring alignment with overall business objectives and market needs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including underwriting, actuarial, claims, and marketing, to gather insights and develop product requirements that meet the unique regulatory and customer demands of new states.
- Continuously assess customer feedback and market trends to identify opportunities for product enhancements and innovations.
- Ensuring the Commercial Lines products including forms, rules and rating plans meets the compliance guidelines of each state.
- Build automated compliance systems to remove the manual process.
- Working with internal and external partners to file new programs with individual states - ongoing process.
Developing Product Tools for New Lines
- Working with the engineering product team to build foundational elements for Commercial Auto into Pie’s systems.
- Take traditional product and pricing models and innovate them into a marketable and successful product utilizing telematics and other 3rd party data.
- Building out a new policy management system alongside the Engineering Product team to create systems and other tools that meet the business needs.
- Manage and implement approved rate/rule/form changes in the policy management system.
The Right Stuff
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred. Background in statistics, mathematics, or economics is highly desirable.
- 3+ years of experience as a Commercial Auto product manager with a focus on telematics.
- CPCU or CIC Certification preferred
- Advanced knowledge in Commercial Auto product development and underwriting.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Ability to creatively solve problems and overcome regulatory roadblocks.
- Advanced capabilities in managing and manipulating data in Excel, and proficient in SQL and snowflake preferred.
- Ability to make decisions and drive results in a fast-paced high-growth environment.
- Effectively identify trends and patterns within data sets.
- Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to work in ambiguous environments, while adhering to project deadlines.
- Knowledge of Commercial Auto regulatory compliance.
- Strong knowledge of different types of distribution channels (Direct to business lines, independent agents) including process dynamics and economic metrics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport and relationships with individuals at all levels across the organization.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and self starter.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Proven ability to effectively present technical concepts to non-technical individuals within and outside the organization.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.