As a Leader in Pie, the VP of Reinsurance will oversee reinsurance buying to support Pie’s overall strategy. Reporting to the CEO, they will be responsible for our reinsurance programs and work directly with our reinsurance broker partners to ensure we have sufficient capacity at appropriate terms to achieve our long term goals. They will also act as the primary liaison to our rating agencies, such as AM Best. Pie is an incredibly collaborative team, and you will work across teams and collaborate with stakeholders and team members in this role. Great communication and coordination skills are key to your success.
This role can be remote with a travel expectation of up to 20%. Travel would include internal meetings with other Pie team members as well as for external meetings and conferences to support the overall reinsurance program
How You’ll Do It
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining strong relationships with a robust panel of insurers, reinsurers, reinsurance brokers, and alternative capital providers
- Build sound and defensible underwriting arguments and effectively communicate these with internal stakeholders and market counterparties
- Build, grow and maintain key reinsurance broker relationships
- Contribute to key decisioning on strategic capital initiatives such as establishing a captive, acquiring a shell, establishing an insurance carrier and other risk structuring techniques
- Identify and leverage brokers and advisors to provide best strategy and execution for long term success
- Lead the continuous optimization of reinsurance, risk finance and capital efficiency strategy
- Work closely with finance, underwriting and risk teams to effectively structure and execute reinsurance, risk finance and capital efficiency
- Provide advice and counsel to executive leaders on company strategy and core insurance businesses and provide execution support for the same
- Responsible for Pie’s insurance purchasing (covering Pie’s corporate insurable risks), working with broker to obtain appropriate limit and coverage for insurable risk exposures
- Serve in an outward facing leadership role when working with rating agencies and ensure Pie achieves and maintains its desired financial strength ratings
- Maintain records and ensure compliance with state and federal regulations. Responsible for the administration of reinsurance plans.
- Ensure timely accounting, reporting and auditing of our reinsurance records
The Right Stuff
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree in mathematics, business or related field is highly preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive experience in insurance or reinsurance is preferred
- 8+ years experience in reinsurance buying, reinsurance brokering, and/or consulting is preferred
- Advanced knowledge of commercial property & casualty insurance business lines, reinsurance structures, contracts and actuarial approaches, and the relevant legal and regulatory environment for both insurance and reinsurance
- Casualty reinsurance experience is required. Workers’ Compensation reinsurance experience is highly preferred.
- P&C licensing, actuarial designation, and/or underwriting designation preferred
- High advanced ability to resolve conflicts gracefully and diplomatically, with few unintended consequences
- Poised communication and executive presentation skills. Ability to clearly communicate expectations and direction for others.
- Advanced critical thinking skills: has the ability to integrate a broad experience base and deep technical knowledge to build strategies. Anticipate problems and initiate forward-looking solutions
- Highly advanced ability to influence others’ thinking and negotiate favorable outcomes
- Advanced organizational skills with a meticulous eye for detail
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Announces $315 Million Series D Round of Funding
Something looks off?