Staff Software Engineer/Team Lead - Media Delivery
About JW Player:
JWP is the game-changing video software and data insights platform that's revolutionizing the Digital Video Economy. With our cutting-edge technology, we give our customers unparalleled independence and control over their digital video content. We began over a decade ago as an open-source video player, but today, JWP is the driving force behind digital video for hundreds of thousands of businesses worldwide. And with over 1 billion viewers tuning in every month across 2.7 billion unique devices, there's no limit to what we can achieve. We're on the lookout for passionate and innovative candidates who are ready to join us on this journey of transforming the world of digital video.
The Engineering Team:
Our exceptional team of backend engineers is the driving force behind JWP's core Video on Demand delivery systems, which serve over 100PB of video every month! Being responsible for key systems at this scale, our team offers significant opportunities for furthering your modern backend engineering expertise. We are a remote-first team with members spanning across various time zones, from Denver to NYC to the UK, so we highly value effective communication skills and a desire to work collaboratively in a high-trust environment.
As JWP continues to grow, so do our Media teams! As we’ve more than doubled the number of engineers in this area of the Media group in the last year and are still growing, we’re looking to add a dedicated Team Lead to the team. As a member of the team, you will have the opportunity to design and build cutting-edge APIs, infrastructure, pipelines, testing, monitoring, and all other tooling you feel is necessary to ship code frequently of the highest possible caliber. The right candidate is a senior engineer with project management experience, strong communication skills, and high attention to detail. This person will partner closely with the Engineering Manager to keep the team running smoothly, with the opportunity to grow and develop their leadership skills on the job. If you are passionate about backend engineering and want to work on a team that values innovation and excellence, we want to hear from you!
As a Team Lead, Staff Engineer, you will:
- Be a driving force in all stages of the software development life cycle, from planning and design through to implementation and maintenance
- Translate business requirements into technical tasks, breaking down this work into discrete tasks that can be executed by anyone on the team
- Collaborate with top-tier engineers, including Staff and Principal Engineers, to make key architectural decisions and develop technical standards and best practices
- Have an opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies and contribute to the development of high-quality software
- Share your knowledge and provide mentorship to other engineers, helping to foster a culture of continuous learning and growth
- Communicate with stakeholders within and outside of the team, including other engineering teams, product, sales, and support
- Remove roadblocks and connect the team with the information and resources they need in order to deliver projects effectively
- Through partnership with the team's Engineering Manager, learn and grow skills in:
- hiring and building a team
- performance management and career growth
- acting as an information filter between your team and other stakeholders throughout the business
Requirements for the role:
- 4+ years of professional experience as part of an engineering team
- You have prior experience in a leadership capacity, and an interest in moving your career toward an Engineering Management track
- Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field; or equivalent experience
- Proven track record of working with coding languages and technologies that will translate to being successful working in ours.
- Examples include Python, RabbitMQ, RDBMS/SQL, cloud infrastructure (AWS), CDNs, microservice architecture, Docker, Linux
- Experience collaborating with a diverse team of engineers, participating in architectural conversations and decision-making processes
- Experience with web video (particularly packaging and streaming)
- Experience building and supporting large-scale systems
Perks of being at JW Player, Mexico
Our goal is to take care of you and ensure you will be successful in your new role. Your success is our success!
As a full time employee, you will qualify for:
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- Remote Working Stipends
- Quarterly and Annual Team Events - because team building is important!
- Professional Career Program and Career Development Opportunities
- Bi-Annual Hack Weeks for those who are interested in using their coding knowledge
- Fireside chats with individuals at JW Player
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.