Senior Software Engineer - Backend, Media Task Force Team
About JW Player:
JWP is the game-changing video software and data insights platform that's revolutionizing the Digital Video Economy. With our cutting-edge technology, we give our customers unparalleled independence and control over their digital video content. We began over a decade ago as an open-source video player, but today, JWP is the driving force behind digital video for hundreds of thousands of businesses worldwide. And with over 1 billion viewers tuning in every month across 2.7 billion unique devices, there's no limit to what we can achieve. We're on the lookout for passionate and innovative candidates who are ready to join us on this journey of transforming the world of digital video.
The Engineering Team:
Our Engineering team plays a big part in the company's success through the development of innovative technologies. Engineers at JW Player are passionate about writing code and solving complex problems. Equipped with modern tech stacks, our Engineers contribute to helping drive monetization for our customers across billions of devices monthly. Click here to read about some of our different engineering teams.
We are looking to hire a Backend Developer to develop and integrate backend services to deliver video streaming in Dash and HLS protocols. This is a great opportunity to work on a brand new advertising technology project, while managing/improving our live stream offering and working with modern tech stacks on the latest developments in embeddable video technology!
While this is a remote opportunity, we are only considering candidates who are based in either the United Kingdom or the Netherlands.
As a Backend Developer, you will:
- Use popular languages like Python and Golang in day-to-day coding.
- Participate in the design and development of microservices and other backend services to address challenges affecting not only JW but the streaming industry in general at scale.
- Monitor application lifecycle and delivery/deployment tools like K8S, CICD, Containerization, and more.
- Troubleshoot problems, from client side corner cases to system wide degradations, and everything in between.
- Collaborate in a cross-functional team focused around our customer experience.
- Participate in code reviews with fellow engineering peers.
Requirements for the role:
- 2-5 years experience working with REST APIs in Python or Golang, Microservices Architecture, Docker containers or SQL (PostgresSQL or MySQL).
- Knowledgeable with designing, implementing, and managing distributed systems that are highly available, scalable and fault tolerant.
- Proficient with source control and Linux environments.
- Exposure and understanding to Object Oriented Design Patterns.
- Insight to database design and RDBMS concepts and domain-driven designs.
- Solid understanding of source control management system.
- Knowledge of video encoding, ad networks, content management platforms, and/or streaming protocols such as DASH and HLS.
- Experience with building scalable systems using cloud infrastructures like AWS or Google Cloud.
- Contributed to open-source projects.
- Familiarity with event-driven or message-driven architecture.
Perks of being at JW Player, United Kingdom
Our goal is to take care of you and ensure you will be successful in your new role. Your success is our success!
As a full time employee, you will qualify for:
- Private Health Coverage for you and your family
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- Stock Options Purchase Program
- Quarterly and Annual Team Events - because team building is important!
- Professional Career Program and Career Development Opportunities
- Bi-Annual Hack Weeks for those who are interested in using their coding knowledge
- Fireside chats with individuals at JW Player
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.