Senior Backend Engineer
About JW Player:
JWP is the game-changing video software and data insights platform that's revolutionizing the Digital Video Economy. With our cutting-edge technology, we give our customers unparalleled independence and control over their digital video content. We began over a decade ago as an open-source video player, but today, JWP is the driving force behind digital video for hundreds of thousands of businesses worldwide. And with over 1 billion viewers tuning in every month across 2.7 billion unique devices, there's no limit to what we can achieve. We're on the lookout for passionate and innovative candidates who are ready to join us on this journey of transforming the world of digital video.
The Engineering Team:
Our exceptional team of backend engineers is the driving force behind JWP's core Video on Demand delivery systems, which serve over 100PB of video every month! Being responsible for key systems at this scale, our team offers significant opportunities for furthering your modern backend engineering expertise. We are a remote-first team with members spanning across various time zones, from Denver to NYC to the UK, so we highly value effective communication skills and a desire to work collaboratively in a high-trust environment. We welcome engineers at all levels of seniority who are passionate about making a difference and driving innovation in the online video delivery space. Join us in shaping the future of online video delivery technology!
Join our growing Media Delivery team at JWP and take on the exciting challenge of building highly scalable and reliable delivery systems! As a member of the team, you will have the opportunity to design and build cutting-edge APIs, infrastructure, pipelines, testing, monitoring, and all other tooling you feel is necessary to ship code frequently of the highest possible caliber. If you are passionate about backend engineering and want to work on a team that values innovation and excellence, we want to hear from you!
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will:
- Be a driving force in all stages of the software development life cycle, from planning and design through to implementation and maintenance
- Translate business requirements into technical tasks, breaking down this work into discrete tasks that can be executed by anyone on the team
- Collaborate with top-tier engineers, including Staff and Principal Engineers, to make key architectural decisions and develop technical standards and best practices
- Have an opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies and contribute to the development of high-quality software
- Share your knowledge and provide mentorship to other engineers, helping to foster a culture of continuous learning and growth
- Communicate with stakeholders within and outside of the team, including other engineering teams, product, sales, and support
Requirements for the role:
- 4+ years of professional experience as part of an engineering team
- Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field; or equivalent experience
- Proven track record of working with coding languages and technologies that will translate to being successful working in ours.
- Examples include Python, RabbitMQ, RDBMS/SQL, cloud infrastructure (AWS), CDNs, microservice architecture, Docker / Linux containers
- Experience collaborating with a diverse team of engineers, participating in architectural conversations and decision-making processes
- Experience with web video (particularly packaging and streaming)
- Experience building and supporting large-scale systems
Perks of being at JW Player, U.S.
When you join JW Player, our goal is to take care of you and ensure you will be successful in your new role. Your success is our success!
As a full time employee, you are eligible for the following benefits:
- Private Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage for you and your family
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Stock Options Purchase Program
- Quarterly and Annual Team Events - because team building is important!
- Professional Career Development Program and Career Development Progression
- New Employee Home Office Setup Stipend
- Monthly Connectivity Stipend
- Free and discounted perks through JW Player's benefit partners
- Bi-Annual Hack Weeks for those who are interested in using their coding knowledge
- Fireside chats with individuals throughout JW Player
*Benefits are subject to location and can change at the discretion of the Company.
According to New York City local Council laws, local New York City applicants residing in and performing this role in New York City will receive an annual salary dependent on experience between $130,000.00 - $155,000.00. In addition, applicants qualify for the benefits listed above.
The salary band is not applicable to applicants outside of New York City. Applicants located outside of the New York City area will have an adjusted rate equitable and competitive to their residing and surrounding area.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?