Engineering Lead (Backend)
Flashpoint’s Engineering team delivers award-winning risk intelligence to the largest organizations and government entities across the globe. The core responsibility of the VULN team is to build and maintain well-running customer-facing applications and APIs. Our work has a direct impact on making our cyber and physical world a safer place.
Our best engineers are collaborative and selfless. They enjoy writing code, but they prioritize mentoring and supporting others. They leave code cleaner than when they found it but don't insist on particular patterns. They optimize for simplicity and readability. They are involved in the full lifecycle of software development: understanding the requirements, designing the solution, writing the code, testing the code, testing the integration, deploying it to production, and monitoring the deployment. They are fully engaged in the problem domain. We see it as a prerequisite that candidates possess and demonstrate a desire to lead from the front in improving a supportive, empathetic team; we expect candidates to be trusted and beloved by their teammates such that they become technical and emotional anchors for the rest of the team and department.
Trusted by governments, commercial enterprises, and educational institutions worldwide, Flashpoint helps organizations protect their most critical assets, infrastructure, and stakeholders from security risks such as cyber threats, ransomware, fraud, physical threats, and more. Leading security practitioners—including physical and corporate security, cyber threat intelligence (CTI), vulnerability management, and vendor risk management teams—rely on the Flashpoint Intelligence Platform, comprising open source (OSINT) and closed intelligence, to proactively identify and mitigate risk and stay ahead of the evolving threat landscape. Learn more at www.flashpoint.io.
We have a role for you if
- You have interfaced with business leaders and brought ideas from rough concepts to in-production customer features. Through this process, you have architected solutions and broken down the work into smaller chunks.
- You have designed solutions using service-oriented architecture, microservices, or event-driven architecture.
- You have a deep understanding of data structures, database architecture, and Elasticsearch.
- You have led teams that built RESTful web services, WebSockets, and event-driven applications using Python or equivalent technology stacks.
- You have experience using cloud technologies like GCP, AWS, or Azure
- You have experience working in a fast-paced agile environment consistently delivering high-value features to customers
- You have people management experience mentoring and growing other engineering
- You are able to solicit, synthesize, and provide continuous feedback to team members
- You understand and make well-reasoned design decisions and tradeoffs to deliver timely releases
- You are methodical, observant, and detail-oriented in your work, including in your verbal and written communication, working both autonomously and on a fast-paced team
What you will get to do on our team
- You will work with business leaders to bring ideas from rough concepts to in-production customer features.
- You will lead the engineering team bringing world-class products to market
- You will drive architectural and engineering best practices and process improvements
- You will help define data structures and database architecture that support applications at scale
- You will lead the team members through coaching, mentoring, and continuous learning
- You will help bring in new technologies and develop innovative approaches to the challenges we face through participation in a collaborative engineering environment
- You will help build and maintain our platform, constantly adding new data sources, analytics, and interface enhancements as our company grows
What you will achieve
- Within 30 days
- You will have learned our processes and procedures, building individual components that contribute to the broader organization
- You will have created code that is in production with written integration tests
- You will be conducting code reviews with team members, supporting junior developers, and coding to company standards
- Within 60 days
- You will have intimate working knowledge and a direct impact on current roadmaps and sprints
- You will have worked with product managers to breakdown ideas from concept into tickets for the team to refine further
- You will have an understanding of the current architecture and started to make improvements
- You will have conducted 1:1s with team members
- By 90 days
- You will be bringing new technologies and developing innovative approaches to the challenges we face through a collaborative engineering environment
- You have contributed to documentation or presentations of information for the purpose of knowledge-sharing
- You have helped complete a quarterly planning session
- You have helped team members with their goals
To be successful in this role, you will need
- Experience in different architecture frameworks like SOA, event-driven, and microservices
- Experience in different database structures like SQL, Elasticsearch, NoSQL, or equivalent
- Experience in information bus technology like Kafka, Rabbitmq, Tuxedo, or equivalent
- Experience writing APIs, web sockets, and info bus applications using Python or equivalent
- Experience leading a engineering team and providing mentorship
- Experience taking rough ideas from business leaders and building products from the ground up
- Experience with continuous integration frameworks like Gitlab-ci, Travis, Jenkins, or CircleCI
Base Pay Range: $140,000 - $160,000 plus bonus
Why Flashpoint is a Great Place to Work:
- Diversity. Flashpoint is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, inclusion, belonging, and equity. We recognize that diversity is key to achieving our vision. We believe that every person and their experiences contribute to building a work environment and products and services that will change the world.
- Culture and Belonging. Our company’s culture isn’t something you join, it’s something you build and shape, and each person's unique backgrounds and experiences contribute to who Flashpoint is and will become. You will have ample opportunities to connect with coworkers through various communication channels and company-funded virtual events: book clubs, happy hours, committees, DIBE discussion group, Donut mixers, local team member meetups and much more.
- Perks. Flashpoint understands that personal wellness is one of the keys to a happy, healthy and productive work environment. That’s why we also prioritize health and wellness perks like gym reimbursements, expensed lunches, cool cultural initiatives and inclusive employee events.
- Career Growth. Flashpoint is invested in the growth of our team members and understands that frequent, two-way feedback is critical to that growth. We encourage regular one-on-ones with your manager, a regular schedule of performance reviews, learning and development opportunities, and guidance through formalized career paths; whether that be towards being a great manager, being a great individual contributor, or a lateral move to gain breadth of knowledge and experience.