Software Engineer II (Data)
Are you passionate about turning raw data into actionable insights through automated processes? Do you have a knack for tackling big data problems with elegant efficient code?
At Flashpoint, we understand that data isn't just a resource; it's the stepping stone to get valuable intelligence to keep organizations safe. Our Data Team plays a pivotal role in ensuring that our operational data is not only efficiently processed and stored, but also transformed into valuable insights through the interaction of multiple teams across the organization. As a member of the Data Team, you'll have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies and collaborate with talented individuals who share your passion for code and data-driven excellence.
Trusted by governments, commercial enterprises, and educational institutions worldwide, Flashpoint helps organizations protect their most critical assets, infrastructure, and stakeholders from security risks such as cyber threats, ransomware, fraud, physical threats, and more. Leading security practitioners—including physical and corporate security, cyber threat intelligence (CTI), vulnerability management, and vendor risk management teams—rely on the Flashpoint Intelligence Platform, comprising open source (OSINT) and closed intelligence, to proactively identify and mitigate risk and stay ahead of the evolving threat landscape. Learn more at www.flashpoint.io.
We have a role for you if
- You have a solid foundation in computer science fundamentals from data structures and algorithms to high level design patterns.
- You have a keen interest in data processing at scale.
- You enjoy creating and maintaining efficient, scalable, and well-organized code.
- You have experience working with distributed data systems.
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify data-related issues and implement effective solutions.
- You have a versatile, creative temperament, and the ability to think out-of-the box while defining sound and practical solutions.
What you will get to do on our team
- Create maintainable and scalable code to address data needs.
- Contribute to the improvement of current software processes (requirements, design, implementation, testing, and validation).
- Create observability tooling to help other teams monitor, debug, understand, and tune their big data jobs and pipelines.
- Work with Data and MLOps Engineers to develop and integrate data features and ML models.
- Assist and mentor other teams with Software development lifecycle best practices.
- Help bring in new technologies and develop innovative approaches to the data challenges we face.
- Apply your honesty, strong sense of morals and ethics, and sense of responsibility towards making Flashpoint and those around you smarter, stronger, and kinder
What you will achieve
- Within 30 days
- Configure your development environment.
- Get familiar with the current data infrastructure through a series of onboarding presentations.
- Get an understanding of the data: the inputs, the outputs, and its consumption by multiple teams.
- Within 60 days
- Begin working on data infrastructure projects: from maintenance tasks to new additions.
- Get an in-depth understanding of the data pipeline: how components are interacting at a more technical level.
- Be involved in data discussions (internal and external) and contribute to solutions’ designs.
- By 90 days
- Be responsible for the implementation of a new data feature, which could be a request from another team or an improvement to the current data pipelines.
- Have the required skills and knowledge base to be added to the on-call rotation.
- Start becoming an expert in data processing at scale.
To be successful in this role, you will need
- Proficiency in Java or Scala.
- Familiarity with Software Development Life Cycle processes.
- Experience using Cloud data services.
- Experience with Big Data and distributed processing systems (Spark, Beam, etc)
- Experience with orchestration frameworks such as Apache Airflow.
- To maintain high-level and technical documentation of data features for visibility across multiple departments.
- To continue expanding and improving the current data infrastructure.
- To enable new features and data requests across multiple stakeholders: Data Engineers, Analysts, Data Scientists, and Product teams.
Base Pay Range: $105,000/yr - $125,000/yr plus bonus
Why Flashpoint is a Great Place to Work:
- Diversity. Flashpoint is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, inclusion, belonging, and equity. We recognize that diversity is key to achieving our vision. We believe that every person and their experiences contribute to building a work environment and products and services that will change the world.
- Culture and Belonging. Our company’s culture isn’t something you join, it’s something you build and shape, and each person's unique backgrounds and experiences contribute to who Flashpoint is and will become. You will have ample opportunities to connect with coworkers through various communication channels and company-funded virtual events: book clubs, happy hours, committees, DIBE discussion group, Donut mixers, local team member meetups and much more.
- Perks. Flashpoint understands that personal wellness is one of the keys to a happy, healthy and productive work environment. That’s why we also prioritize health and wellness perks like gym reimbursements, expensed lunches, cool cultural initiatives and inclusive employee events.
- Career Growth. Flashpoint is invested in the growth of our team members and understands that frequent, two-way feedback is critical to that growth. We encourage regular one-on-ones with your manager, a regular schedule of performance reviews, learning and development opportunities, and guidance through formalized career paths; whether that be towards being a great manager, being a great individual contributor, or a lateral move to gain breadth of knowledge and experience.
- A Great Place to Work. Literally. According to the 99% of employees surveyed, Flashpoint earned designation as a Great Place to Work-Certified™ Company for 2021. 100% of employees agree that new hires are made to feel welcome and appreciated. If you are interested in learning more, please check out our Certified Profile.