Coast is re-imagining the trillion-dollar U.S. B2B card payments infrastructure, with a focus on the country’s 500,000 commercial fleets, 40 million commercial vehicles, and many million commercial drivers. The incumbent technologies that cater to these customers are decades old, and drivers, fleets, and the merchants that serve them all increasingly demand modern digital experiences and affordable and transparent financial services products. Coast's mission is to deliver them at a transformational scale, and to improve working lives in one of the country’s biggest industry sectors. The company is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds.
We are looking for a Growth Engineer to join our Growth organization. At Coast, we believe in cross-functional teams that can iterate quickly by self-servicing their own engineering and analytics needs. The Growth organization drives the ambitious agenda of our business as a whole, identifying the most critical areas of opportunity for Coast and developing solutions to unlock those opportunities at scale. In this role you will be the cornerstone of our Growth organization, amplifying its effectiveness with data, tooling, experimentation, and automation - the ultimate goal is increasing the effectiveness of Coast’s growth and acquisition efforts and we expect you to be scrappy and opportunistic in doing so.
You will be building on top of our existing infrastructure, as well as using your own tools, from Python to Zapier, from Retool to Postman, from pipedream to Google Sheets, from ChatGPT to… well, you tell us. It’s critical that members of the Growth team strike the right balance between speed and rigor, between being a power user of no-code tools and writing just enough code to get stuff done.
If you are driven, resourceful, tenacious, and pragmatic - talk to us! This role has a lot of leverage, enabling you to drive outsize results. If you like to move fast and thrive in an environment where you can make an observable, tangible impact across dozens of team members and tens of thousands of businesses, this is an opportunity for you.
When it comes to career trajectory, you can choose your own adventure, whether it is growing our data science capability with predictive analytics, or building a Growth enablement and experimentation platform, or establishing company-wide data analytics practice, or going deeper into data engineering.
The Growth Engineer will:
- empower the Growth organization by identifying insights and designing specific experiments to test our hypotheses, building out the data sets and gauging the resulting impact with a particular focus on separating noise from signal;
- work cross-functionally with various departments to turn business ideas into engineering solutions (ex: an OpenAI plugin that uses enrichment data to personalize outbound email communication to Coast prospects);
- maintain, grow, and improve our existing proprietary data sets through custom development work (e.g. a proprietary web crawler and scoring model to source and prioritize businesses that Coast is most likely to convert to customers);
- work with our myriad of data vendors to source and maintain their data as needed to achieve the goals of the Growth organization;
- continuously improve the day to day operations of the organization by building lightweight tooling and automation - even smallest incremental improvements will have outsize impact given the team size;
- collaborate with the data engineering organization to build out the missing infrastructure required for the Growth organization to effectively operate, as needed, from loading SaaS vendor data into the warehouse, to building lightweight tooling on top of it.
The Growth Engineer must:
- have nose for data - trends, correlations, statistical significance, outliers, shapes; no need to be a statistician, but you need to have the intuition for the basics;
- be able to sling lightweight no-code tools and write enough glue/data munging code to get results;
- enjoy building processes - from small daily automations where computers do the work for you to designing team workflows;
- be fluent with SaaS ecosystem - what is out there, how to connect them;
- be fluent with data gathering - REST APIs, web scraping, OCR, SQL, scripting, converting between data formats;
- be an expert in data manipulation - sorting, searching, filtering, aggregating, enriching, and joining;
- be fluent with SQL;
- be fluent with analysis tools - notebooks, visualizations, BI tooling;
- be ruthlessly pragmatic - keep the business hypothesis and intent in mind and avoid technical rabbit holes, needless gold-plating, or the distractions of academic purity;
- be able to figure stuff out - the modern data space is deep and complex, and there are many ways of solving the same problem; you need to be able to find the path through the solution space most efficiently to get the results you need without getting bogged down;
- keep a finger on the pulse of the industry - data and AI vendor landscape, industry trends.
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with SMB sales cycles, B2B marketing, uplift modeling, and LTV prediction;
- Understanding of the tools that power marketing automation, personalization, attribution, and analytics
- Proxying & scraping services e.g. Puppeteer, PhantomBuster
- Outbound sequencing tools e.g. Outreach, Hubspot
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits, signing bonus, and equity. Pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including scope and qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to other Coast employees. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at Coast to fall healthily within the range based on these factors.
- Salary range: $120,000 - $160,000 annually
- Signing bonus
- Equity grant: commensurate with level determined at the discretion of the company, with meaningful potential upside given the company’s early stage
- Benefits overview:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited paid time off (vacation, personal well being, paid holidays)
- Paid parental leave
- $400 accessories allowance for home office setup to be spent on a keyboard, mouse, headphones, etc.
- Free lunch every Friday
Coast is founded and led by Daniel Simon, who previously cofounded Bread (breadpayments.com), a leading payments and credit technology firm backed by some of the world’s top VCs which was acquired for $500MM+ in 2020.
Coast recently raised $27.5M in a Series A financing co-led by Accel and Insight Partners. We're also backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds – including Better Tomorrow Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, BoxGroup, Foundation Capital, Greycroft, and Colle – and premier angel investors – including Max Levchin (Affirm), Josh Abramowitz (Bread), Jason Gardner (Marqeta), William Hockey (Plaid), Ryan Petersen (Flexport), and many others.
Coast is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building a diverse and inclusive environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.