Risk Operations Specialist
Coast is re-imagining the trillion-dollar U.S. B2B card payments infrastructure, with a focus on the country’s 500,000 commercial fleets, 40 million commercial vehicles, and many million commercial drivers. The incumbent technologies that cater to these customers are decades old, and drivers and fleets increasingly demand modern digital experiences and affordable and transparent financial services products. Coast's mission is to deliver them at a transformational scale, beginning with the Coast Fleet and Fuel Card built on a cutting-edge spend management platform.
As an early hire on the Risk team, the Risk operations specialist will be in position to shape the risk operations and strategy at Coast. This person should be curious, self-starter and collaborative to deliver on various risk priorities and identify new opportunities for improvement. This role provides a great opportunity for growth as you will interact daily with the head of various functions (Sales, Marketing, Product, Operations, Legal, Finance and the CEO) to deliver on various risk initiatives.
- Evaluate and decision customer applications by applying credit policy
- Execute Coast’s Risk management policy with regards line increase, account suspension and other critical account decisions
- Investigate accounts to identify fraudulent users, account takeover, and other fraud vectors
- Contribute to root cause analysis to identify opportunities to predict, prevent, and mitigate risk
- Help maintain fraud detection strategies and business rules that balance fraud loss and customer experience
- Partner cross functionally with product, sales, marketing, operations, legal and finance team to lead and promote credit and fraud initiatives
- BA/BS from an university with 1-2 years experience working in risk or underwriting operations, preferably in a financial institution or a Fintech
- You excel in analytical thinking and problem solving, with experience using data to make assessments / judgment
- You are humble and have a proven track record for working well across teams and with external partners
- You have excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- You are able to work independently with little oversight or management in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with high-energy and mission-driven colleagues
- You are practical and business-minded, smart and creative, and excited about the rewards and volatility of an early-stage venture-backed startup
- You have familiarity with credit assessment tools and methodologies
- You are proficient in MS Office applications, especially Excel
- Experience with B2B early stage Fintech
- Experience in underwriting small to medium sized businesses
- Strong SQL skills and ability to analyze data to create actionable insights
- Knowledge and understanding of KYC and KYB principles
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits, signing bonus, and equity. Pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including scope and qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to other Coast employees. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at Coast to fall healthily within the range based on these factors.
- Salary range: $60,000 - $80,000 annually
- Signing bonus
- Equity grant: commensurate with level determined at the discretion of the company, with meaningful potential upside given the company’s early stage
- Benefits overview:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited paid time off (vacation, personal well being, paid holidays)
- Paid parental leave
- $400 accessories allowance for home office setup to be spent on a keyboard, mouse, headphones, etc.
- Free lunch every Friday
Coast is founded and led by Daniel Simon, who previously co-founded Bread (breadpayments.com), a leading payments and credit technology firm backed by some of the world’s top VCs which was acquired for $500MM+ in 2020.
Coast recently raised $27.5M in a Series A financing co-led by Accel and Insight Partners, with $34M total equity capital raised to date. We're backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds – including Better Tomorrow Ventures, BoxGroup, Avid Ventures, Vesey Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Foundation Capital, and Greycroft – and premier angel investors – including Max Levchin (Affirm), Josh Abramowitz (Bread), Jason Gardner (Marqeta), William Hockey (Plaid), Ryan Petersen (Flexport), and many others.
Coast is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building a diverse and inclusive environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.