Senior Product Designer
Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid product—Citizen Protect—is a first-of-its-kind personal safety subscription that allows users to reach a digital guardian 24/7 for $20/mo. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
At Citizen, we ship early and often, and you will have the opportunity to own as much of that process as you can-- from ideation and planning to development and launch. We seek a Product Designer who will work closely with product and engineering teams to deliver a simple and thoughtful experience for all features we build.
Who you are
- A highly skilled product designer with 7+ years of experience in the industry.
- Proven ability to lead the design process, from user research to prototyping to implementation.
- Portfolio showcasing delightful UX and beautiful UI
- Collaborative and flexible approach to design, with a strong understanding of user needs.
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills, with the ability to articulate design concepts and strategies to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Energized by ambiguity and solving complex problems
- Bonus: experience designing map-based consumer mobile products.
What you’ll do
- Lead end-to-end design process on new products and features, participating in every phase, from strategy to research to visual design.
- Conduct user research to understand user needs and to inform design decisions
- Create wireframes, mockups, and high-fidelity prototypes (we love Protopie and SwiftUI) to test and refine designs.
- Work with engineers and product managers to implement designs perfectly.
- Iterate designs based on data insights and user feedback.
- Help build a world-class design team by contributing to our internal design processes, practices, team culture, and design system
Salary Range & Benefits:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in New York, New York. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Salary Range: $160,000 to $200,000 annually + equity + benefits
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Something looks off?