Data Scientist, Product Analytics
Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid products—Citizen Protect and Citizen Plus, enhance the Citizen experience by offering users powerful features like police scanner radio, historical incidents, custom alerts zones, and access to a digital guardian 24/7 help. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About the Role
We are seeking a motivated and energetic product analytics data scientist to support the growth of the analytics function at Citizen. This person thrives in a fast-paced environment, enjoys a strong team culture, and is excited by the opportunity to make an impact with tech-enabled solutions that support the safety of our users.
As the Data Scientist focused on Product Analytics, you will work closely with our Product and Engineering teams to improve our testing and reporting capabilities. You will be joining a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Engineers, and Designers to inform and evaluate new features and experiences developed by the Product team. This role will be using statistical tests and analytics to support all A/B testing on the consumer side, as well as quantifying the efficacy of product features and changes to our underlying algorithms. You will efficiently translate data / insights into meaningful and actionable recommendations to business leads across the organization and help build Tableau dashboards for visualizations.
- Our data team supports all parts of the business and are generally aligned around the key pillars of growth and revenue. The growth team focuses on scaling Citizen through expanding coverage and smart notification distribution, while the revenue team focuses on driving paid acquisition through improved premium feature value, as well as exploring creative new monetization streams.
- Data scientists embed as thought partners within product verticals and help reporting, experimentation and longer-form analyses that generate insights and guide product and company strategy.
- We are technology agnostic and results-oriented. Individuals use whatever tool (SQL, Python, Tableau, even Google Sheets) and methodology (exploratory data analysis, machine learning) they're most comfortable with to conduct analyses.
- Data Scientists own the database tables and reporting assets within their product vertical and contribute to shared data team infrastructure. Our data tech stack primarily consists of DBT, Google BigQuery, Google Colab/Jupyter Notebooks, Tableau.
- At least 1-3 years professional experience in data science or analytics
- Proficient in SQL
- Tableau Dashboard Experience
- Ability to conduct hypothesis-driven analyses and use data to answer open-ended questions
- Ability to self-direct, and manage cross functional stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to develop and articulate a point of view
- Real-world experience with experimentation and statistical analyses
- Familiarity with a non-SQL scripting language, eg. Python or R
- Experience with consumer products and ideally, subscription revenue models
- Experience with model development, specifically practical model training and validation methods
- Experience with Tableau
Salary Range & Benefits:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in one of our three hubs: New York, NY, San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Salary Range: $140,000-$180,000 annually + equity + benefits
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.