Senior Director, Head of Payments
Every career journey is personal. That's why we empower you with the tools and support to create your own success story.
Be challenged. Be heard. Be valued. Be you ... be here.
Job SummaryThe Senior Director, Head of Payments, oversees all operational and strategic elements of payment processing and road mapping at Bread Financial. This role is a liaison between clients, banks, payment processors, payment technology vendors, senior management, client engagement teams and product management. The Senior Director, Head of Payments, is responsible for creating and executing the payments operations strategy as a complement to the payments platform modernization strategy. This role also includes optimizing payment processing revenue, managing risk exposure and compliance, and investigating new technologies and processes.
Essential Job Functions:
Strategy – Articulate the strategic issues we are facing and how to address them. Lead and manage a team of payments experts driving adoption of current payments-related products and services, engaging with our customers on the product roadmap and future payment strategy engagement. Ensure alignment of our go-to-market and business development activities with our evolving global payments strategy. Business owner who leads the long-term and short-term product roadmap for payments and leads card payments, including overseeing product evolution, strategy, and maintenance.
Market Insights - Understand market and customer insights deeply and ensure fit between strategy and execution in the region. Ensure deep understanding of the competition, market trends, and the changing operating and regulatory environment across the region as it relates to cross-border payments innovation, transaction banking and payment, and settlement systems. Manage partnerships with associations, card schemes, banks, payment processors, and other payment technology partners, including reviewing and making recommendations on payment processor contracts.
Program Management - Initiate, own and lead projects, campaigns and initiatives that drive increased relevance, product usage and adoption, revenue growth and market share. Drive institutionalized knowledge using consistent documentation (e.g., support documents) across all processes to support knowledge management and ensure consistency and repeatability across projects.
Data for Performance - Take a data-driven approach to product enhancements, create KPIs, leverage and identify data for dashboards, etc. to quickly identify product performance challenges, make recommendations on action plans, contribute to the product roadmap and prioritize work to deliver against key areas of focus. Produce monthly reporting, including payment processing profit and losses, reconciliation with accounting entries, and detailed reports, including exception and trend analysis by individual client. Analyze and monitor costs, trends, and other payment-related data, as well as provide business decision support through ad hoc reporting and analysis as needed. Define and evangelize payment metrics across the company to advocate, educate and align key stakeholders.
Vice President, Operations Strategy
Working Conditions/ Physical Requirements:
- Normal office environment. As a senior leader, must work at a Bread Financial office a minimum of 5 days per month.
- Ability to travel 5 days a month if not located near a Bread Financial office or client site.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years of experience in payments markets or transaction banking services.
- 7+ years of experience using analytics to drive key business decisions.
- 10+ years of experience leading people in a professional setting.
- Experience in project leadership in a matrix and cross-functional environment, with a track record of delivering complex commercial projects.
- Experience in financial technology in payments, network, platform or transaction based businesses.
- Extensive experience with NACHA and ACH processing rules and return item best practices, and ability to maintain compliance with those rules.
- Evolving real time ACH best practice.
- Required to work from a Bread Financial office or client site at least 5 days each month, regardless of hybrid or work-from-home status. Must be able to travel 5 days per month if needed, because of this requirement.
- Experience with digital wallets to make payments.
- Experience with PEP plus ACH processing system.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Executive presence – excellent internal and external interpersonal and networking skills including at executive management level.
- Highly proficient critical thinking skills.
- Strong relationship management skills, including proactive partnering and consulting.
- Structured thinker with a problem-solver mindset.
- Experience in redesigning and managing processes from the ground up.
- Ability to manage change and ambiguity with an action-orientation/drive - must thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to assess and interpret customer needs and requirements.
- Ability to negotiate with and influence others.
- Ability to build relationships across the enterprise and with external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly establish credibility and respect with a broad range of business partners.
- Ability to recognize areas for process improvement and drive change.
- Ability to influence peers, business partners and leaders.
This job description is illustrative of the types of duties typically performed by this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of each and every essential function of the job. Because job content may change from time to time, the Company reserves the right to add and/or delete essential functions from this job at any time.
Typical Starting Range:$155,600.00 - $333,300.00
Full Salary Range for position:California: $178,900.00 - $416,600.00Colorado: $155,600.00 - $349,900.00New York: $171,100.00 - $416,600.00Washington: $163,300.00 - $383,300.00
The actual base pay within this range may be dependent upon many factors, which may include, but are not limited to, work location, education, experience, and skills.
Bread Financial offers medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and other voluntary benefits (including basic and optional life insurance, supplemental medical plans, and short and long-term disability) to eligible associates (regular full-time associates scheduled to work 30 hours per week or more) and their spouses/domestic partners, and child(ren) under the age of 26. New associate elected coverage begins on date of hire (with the exception of disability coverage which has a 6-month waiting period). Six weeks of 100% paid parental leave for eligible parents is available after a 180-day waiting period. Hired associates can immediately enroll in Bread Financial’s 401(k) plan.
All associates receive 11 paid holidays. Associates have discretion in managing their time away from work through the Flexible Time Off (FTO) program and may need to notify and receive approval from their manager prior to taking the time off. Associates receive 80 hours of Paid Sick and Safety Time per calendar year at the beginning of each year and is prorated in the associate’s first year of employment.
Hired associates will be able to elect to purchase company stock during offering periods in June and December. You will be eligible for an annual incentive bonus based on individual and company performance.
Click here for more Benefits information.
About Bread Financial
At Bread Financial, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, give back to your community, and be a part of our award-winning culture. We’ve been consistently recognized as a best place to work in many markets and we’re proud to promote an environment where you feel appreciated, accepted, valued, and fulfilled—both personally and professionally. Bread Financial supports the overall wellness of our associates with a diverse suite of benefits and offers boundless opportunities for career development and non-traditional career progression.
Bread Financial is a tech-forward financial services company providing simple, personalized payment, lending and saving solutions. The company creates opportunities for its customers and partners through digitally enabled choices that offer ease, empowerment, financial flexibility and exceptional customer experiences. Driven by a digital-first approach, data insights and white-label technology, Bread Financial delivers growth for its partners through a comprehensive product suite, including private label and co-brand credit cards, installment lending, and buy now, pay later (BNPL). Bread Financial also offers direct-to-consumer solutions that give customers more access, choice and freedom through its branded Bread Cashback American Express® Credit Card and Bread Savings products.
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Bread Financial is powered by its 7,500+ global associates and is committed to sustainable business practices.
- Bread Financial offers competitive pay, a comprehensive selection of benefit options including 401(k).
- The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Any applicant offered employment will be required to establish that they are legally authorized to work in the United States for the Company.
- The Company participates in E-Verify.
- The Company will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.