Android Developer - Mid Level - Mobile Discovery Team
Blinkist connects people with powerful ideas from leading authors and experts to broaden perspectives, gain knowledge, and spark understanding in all areas of their life, both personal and professional.
Used by over 28 million people worldwide, Blinkist distills the key ideas from the most relevant, impactful books and podcasts. These can be read or listened to in 15-minute summaries, that we call Blinks.
Together with Go1, our parent brand, who gives organizations and their employees access to the largest curated e-learning library on the planet, we’re on a mission to reach one billion learners as we unlock positive potential through a love of learning. ✨
About The Role
As a Mid-level Android Engineer, you will contribute to our delivery performance and product success of our award-winning Blinkist Android application. Together with your team, you will continue to develop features that allow our users to share the Blinks they love and have an overall richer interaction with the content Blinks offers. You will play a key role in building an image of how Blinkist can enrich the lives of all curious minds out there.
You will join a cross-functional team consisting of product management, engineering and data science. The team’s focus is building data products that leverage AI/ML technologies to deliver to our customers the right content, at the right time, in the right way!
Check out the interview process for this position here: https://jobs.blinkist.com/64h 🚀
What You Will Do
- Work day to day in a cross-functional team alongside product and design in iterative planning, implementation, and improvement and be a key sparring partner for them
- Find pragmatic solutions for the requirements of our customers and shape the product from Day 1
- Work with QA to ensure the high quality of the Android app through testing and bug fixing
- Implement new features and improvements to existing features, which directly impact the user experience of the app
- Participate in code reviews and contribute to continuous improvement of the app and its architecture
- Participate in planning and retrospectives to ensure effective communication and collaboration within the team
What You Need To Have
- 2 to 5 years of experience in Android app development on a production app or apps.
- Proficiency in Kotlin and experience with Coroutines
- Familiarity with dependency injection (Dagger)
- Familiarity with testing (Espresso, JUnit)
- Knowledge of Android UI/UX design principles and ability to create intuitive and visually appealing user interfaces
- Ability to write clean, efficient, and maintainable code
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous delivery tools such as Jenkins or CircleCI
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to debug complex issues
- Ability to work independently and in a cross-functional team setup
- You have experience justifying your technical decisions in a collaborative environment
- You are fearless in voicing your opinion with clarity and empathy while also being open to receiving and implementing feedback.
- You have an interest in product development and you are used to challenging ideas
Great To Have
- Experience with Compose and reactive programming (Flow/LiveData/RxJava)
Our unique culture of empowerment, mutual respect, and transparency has always been our defining characteristic. We support each other and carve out opportunities for every individual to develop and grow. We strongly believe that diversity powers innovation, thus we celebrate and support our differences, providing equal opportunities for employment and career growth. We embrace a flexible, remote-friendly way of working that supports different needs and lifestyles.
🌟 We are proud to have been selected by LinkedIn as one of the Top 25 Startups in Germany. Glassdoor and Kununu ratings put us amongst Berlin’s top three employers.
These are some of our most valued benefits:
- 30 vacation days + local public holidays in your place of work
- Virtual stock options plan
- Days of learning and wellbeing
- An extra day off for you birthday
- Unlimited home-office in the country where your contract is based, with a workspace allowance
- Learning & development budget
- Coaching budget for minorities and mothers returning from their leave
- Yoga & fitness classes in the office & remote
- Physical and mental health support through various partners
- Relocation and visa support for Germany
If you choose to join our team in Berlin, you'll have access to our modern office space in Neukölln and enjoy healthy plant-based meals prepared fresh every day by our very own chef. 🥑
If we’ve captured your interest and you want to take part in changing the world through the power of ideas – apply now and tell us what got you excited about this opportunity.
We look forward to hearing from you! ☀️
🔎 Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalised folks tend to only apply when they check every box. If you think you have what it takes, even if you don't meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.