We offer the best selection of non-fiction knowledge in bite-sized, digestible formats. Our catalogue gives access to key insights from 5,000+ nonfiction books, original podcasts and author-driven content across 27 categories.
Blinkist exists to spark understanding.✨ We're helping people enrich their minds with powerful ideas, and turn ordinary moments into extraordinary learning opportunities—anytime, anywhere.
About The Role
Are you passionate about Software Engineering and you want to have a big impact with your work? Do you believe in the power of ideas and want to grow and develop? In 2023 we are taking Blinkist to the next level on our journey to become the world’s leading bite-sized edutainment service that feeds curious minds with powerful ideas. This is where you come in.
As a mid-level Android Engineer, you will contribute to our delivery performance and product success of our award winning Blinkist Android application. Together with your team you will continue to develop features that allow our users to share the Blinks they love and have an overall richer interaction with the content Blinks offers. You will play a key role in building an image of how Blinkist can enrich the lives of all curious minds out there.
Our team, named Taco, is specialized in product development and user research. We are composed of mobile, backend, and QA engineers, a user experience specialist, a product owner, and an engineering manager. As a team, we are fully engaged in every stage of the product development lifecycle and are looking to bring on someone who is not only passionate about the technical side of things but is also eager to contribute to our product vision.
Check out the interview process for this position here: https://jobs.blinkist.com/igq 🚀
Please note the minimum salary for an employee located in Germany is €66,000/year.
What You Will Do
- Work day to day in a cross functional team alongside product and design in iterative planning, implementation, and improvement and be a key sparring partner for them
- Find pragmatic solutions for the requirements of our customers and shape the product from day 1
- Work with QA to ensure high quality of the Android app through testing and bug fixing
- Implement new features and improvements to existing features, which directly impact the user experience of the app
- Participate in code reviews and contribute to continuous improvement of the app and it's architecture
- Participate in planning and retrospectives to ensure effective communication and collaboration within the team.
What You Need To Have
- 3+ years of experience in Android app development
- Proficient in Kotlin and experience with Coroutines
- Familiarity with dependency injection (Dagger)
- Familiarity with testing (Espresso, JUnit)
- Knowledge of Android UI/UX design principles and ability to create intuitive and visually appealing user interfaces
- Ability to write clean, efficient, and maintainable code
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous delivery tools such as Jenkins or CircleCI
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to debug complex issues
- Ability to work independently and in a cross functional team setup
- Ability to provide guidance and support to junior team members in organizing their work and achieving project milestones.
- Experience with Compose and reactive programming (Flow/LiveData/RxJava) is a plus
Our unique culture of empowerment, mutual respect, and transparency has always been our defining characteristic. We support each other and carve out opportunities for every individual to develop and grow. We strongly believe that diversity powers innovation, thus we celebrate and support our differences, providing equal opportunities for employment and career growth. We embrace a flexible, remote-friendly way of working that supports different needs and lifestyles.
🌟 We are proud to have been selected by LinkedIn as one of the Top 25 Startups in Germany. Glassdoor and Kununu ratings put us amongst Berlin’s top three employers.
These are some of our most valued benefits:
- 30 vacation days + local public holidays in your place of work
- Virtual stock options plan
- Quarterly days of learning and wellbeing
- An extra day off for you birthday
- Unlimited home-office with a monthly workspace allowance
- Learning & development budget
- Coaching budget for minorities and mothers returning from their leave
- Weekly yoga & fitness classes in the office & remote
- Physical and mental health support through various partners
- Relocation and visa support for Germany
If you choose to join our team in Berlin, you'll have access to our modern office space in Neukölln and enjoy healthy plant-based meals prepared fresh every day by our very own chef. 🥑
If we’ve captured your interest and you want to take part in changing the world through the power of ideas – apply now and tell us what got you excited about this opportunity.
We look forward to hearing from you! ☀️
🔎 Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalised folks tend to only apply when they check every box. If you think you have what it takes, even if you don't meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
Something looks off?