Head of Design, Bamboo
Bamboo is a digital investment platform that gives customers direct, real-time access to buy, invest in or sell over 3,500 stocks and ETFs listed on the US stock market right from their personal devices. Bamboo’s vision to empower every African with the resources they need to build wealth from the ground up is built on the belief that we can democratize access to a stream of wealth creation instruments, global investment opportunities for retail and institutional investors across Africa and foreign markets.
As the Head of Design @Bamboo, you will own and manage all aspects of our design and creative output. We’re looking for a person who is excited to have a significant impact on Bamboo’s brand & product experience and the way the Bamboo design team operates. The Head of Design will actively shape and reshape team processes, help designers see the bigger picture of the product and business through mentorship, coach the team on product thinking and cross-team communication, and lead by example.
At times, we require you to develop visual designs, and at other times, be responsible for recruiting and managing multi-disciplinary third party suppliers as well as internal design resources. It will involve you using your best practice toolkit to implement new processes and practices to improve the efficiency of the design and creative department.
In this role, you will:
- Lead and own the direction of product, brand and visual design at Bamboo. Build out and maintain design system & brand book;
- Take ownership of large portions of a complex product. Work across the entire design stack, including: speccing projects; designing workflows, detailed interactions, and high-fidelity visuals; and ensuring quality implementation;
- Craft designs from first principles, Prototype multiple visual and UX concepts and then narrow them to the right solution.
- You'll use 1:1s to provide coaching and mentorship to guide the careers of your team members, come up with structures to help prioritize work, and and make sure nobody feels burnt out
- Influence design-led thinking across Bamboo; Find solutions to user problems, and think critically from the user perspective.
- Collaborate closely with our product managers and engineering teams to make judgment calls as design constraints arise, with a bias towards shipping valuable work each sprint and iteratively improving on it later.
- Take the lead role in managing the design and creative elements of projects and be the point of contact for brand partnerships and creative projects;
- Develop creative programs and design concepts that meets our business objective and advances our brand and proposition strategy;
- Provide quality control over design outputs and production. Work with the team to deliver projects and activity to deliver against deadlines;
- Plan team hangouts, organize working sessions, share inspo, and encourage collaborative projects that make our remote, distributed group feel less remote and distributed
- Document and evangelize what works (design systems, team meetings, internal processes), and ditch what doesn’t
You'll be a great fit if you:
- Have 6+ years relevant work experience as Product/Brand and UX design, 2+ years leading a design team;
- Have Product/UX-focused work samples for mobile and web applications;
- Have a strong personal design aesthetic and also understand the Bamboo aesthetic.
- Have the ability to design whole systems, not just interface elements or static pages.
- Have experience and interest in the entire design stack, including UI/UX, visual design, and interaction design.
- You have demonstrated the ability to help a team navigate ambiguity, set process, and set strategy.
- You care deeply about design - from a strategic level down to design details.You enjoy communicating visually and you also understand that design thinking is a lot more than making visuals.
- You are at the stage in your career where you are excited to directly coach and mentor other designers.
- You have the ability to communicate effectively and you can tell when something’s good and articulate clearly (and kindly) when it’s not.
- Understand the balance between perfect design and getting to market.You are able to define the design direction and process and can lead others through it.
- You have knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography & limitation of online and offline design work.
- You have the ability to storyboard or translate ideas to designers and others, influencing external and internal stakeholders
- You have an understanding of both web and traditional media; You have strong working knowledge of online and offline design, brand development and the creative process;
- You have experience with design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, and Sketch;
- It's a plus if you've worked with a fully remote team! Extra points if you’ve helped grow a team from small to medium.