Sr. Backend Engineer
Sr. Software Engineer - Backend | Acorns
Acorns is seeking an experienced Sr. Backend Engineer with a passion for building robust, scalable, software and systems for customer-focused financial products, who loves learning new technologies on the job, who thinks creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoys working collaboratively.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself and work with the various teams here from backend, QA, compliance, securities and more.
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
- Get your first project into production and learn about our development processes.
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Improve backend codebase by developing a performant and maintainable backend feature.
- Elevate the backend application architecture to increase developer velocity and drive growth through Acorns’ initiative deliveries.
- Provide insight into backend application development best practices; Support decisions around framework and tool choices.
- Build efficient and reusable backend abstractions; Optimize application for clarity and scalability.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization.
- Built products that are being used daily by our millions of users.
- Be someone other team members go to for advice or questions on services you helped build.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 3-5+ years of relevant experience building and supporting production services or platforms
- Experience leading API design and implementation (REST/GraphQL)
- Strong understanding of object-oriented and functional programming paradigms
- Strong track record of good software engineering practices such as code reviews, deep focus on quality and documentation
- Experience leading a team to the successful delivery of user-facing services
- Innovative mindset, being creative from ideation to execution
- Passionate about advancing our society, whether internal or external
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $179,000 and $208,600/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, equity grants, and discretionary cash bonus awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Something looks off?