Backend Engineer II
Backend Engineer II | Acorns
Acorns is seeking experienced backend engineers for our team who have a passion for building robust, scalable, software and systems for customer focused financial products, love learning new technologies on the job, think creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
- You will lead key web service development with a focus on availability, latency, and capacity
- You will own all aspects of the code you produce including unit tests, automated tests, and operational support
- You will create service designs and lead architectural reviews.
- You will lead the operational health of Investment web services and drive continuous improvement in the alit of the services you own.
Who You Are:
- You are objective, empathetic, passionate and curious
- You have an understanding of the complete software development lifecycle
- You enjoy thinking of the customer first when writing code
- You have strong analytical and problem solving skills
- You actively invest in keeping up with current best practices and new technologies
- You insist on quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 3-4+ years of relevant experience building and supporting production software
- Expertise with SQL or NoSQL solutions
- Experience with API design and implementation (REST/GraphQL)
- Strong understanding of object oriented and functional programming paradigms
- Expertise in a major, dynamically typed, programming language
- Strong understanding of algorithms, time complexity, data structures and design patterns
- Strong track record of good software engineering practices such as code reviews, deep focus on quality and documentation
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $149,000 and $174,700/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, equity grants, and discretionary cash bonus awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Something looks off?