Sr. Compliance Officer
Sr. Compliance Officer | Acorns
PHISHING SCAM WARNING: Acorns Grow, Inc. ("Acorns") is among several companies recently made aware of a phishing scam involving con artists posing as Acorns recruiters via email, text, and social media. The imposters are creating misleading email accounts, conducting remote “interviews,” and making fake job offers in order to collect personal and financial information from unsuspecting individuals. Please note that Acorns only uses company email addresses, which contain “@acorns.com” to communicate with candidates via email. The company also uses secure tools on our website to receive data from applicants and would never ask them to submit their personal banking information to apply for an open job. If you are contacted by someone about an open job at Acorns, please verify the domain of the sender’s email address and that they are asking you to apply on this website. If you believe you’ve been a victim of a phishing scam, please visit the Department of Homeland Security’s Cyber Smart website to learn how to report it. For additional information on how to identify job scams, please scroll to the bottom of the post.
Acorns is seeking a Senior Compliance Officer responsible for the Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Compliance Program for Acorns Securities. This Senior Compliance Officer will report directly to the Director of Compliance and carry out Acorns’ culture of compliance by enhancing the company’s AML program, maintaining AML policies and procedures, analyzing regulatory changes, providing credible risk-based regulatory advice, developing a close relationship with compliance’s business partners throughout the organization and serve as the Broker Dealer AML Compliance Officer.
Specifically, this role will be responsible for enhancing and maintaining policies and procedures for the AML program; developing a thorough understanding of the businesses, risks, and processes with respect to AML and maintaining the Risk Assessment; creating and conducting engaging and meaningful BSA/AML/OFAC trainings for employees; creating and maintaining a list of Red Flags; working cooperatively with business lines to establish procedures for identifying suspicious customer transactions, specific to money laundering; reviewing and retooling monitoring systems and reports to ensure a manageable and accurate number of flags are initiated; conducting FINCEN 314(a) reviews; identifying and submitting SAR filings; and reviewing internal reports for suspicious activity. Additionally, this role will assist with other aspects of compliance including customer complaint reviews, overall recordkeeping, audits and examinations, and compliance system management.
With limited supervision, this role handles routine to moderately complex issues and combines analysis, wisdom, and experience to arrive at sound conclusions and recommendations. Additionally, this role works with department leadership, takes initiative to handle challenging issues and situations, as well as making thorough recommendations and actionable plans to improve internal and external compliance processes.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
- AML/KYC Surveillance and Investigations
- Daily, weekly and monthly surveillance
- PEP, 314A, and OFAC reviews
- SAR Review and Filing
- Testing and Monitoring
- Customer Complaint handling
- Broker Dealer and Investment Adviser Policies and Procedures
Within 1 month, you will:
- Become well-versed in the firm’s culture and product offerings and organizational structure by meeting with key partners and reviewing key documentation.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Attend to day-to-day AML responsibilities
- Start planning strategic goals and objectives consistent with and in furtherance of the firm’s mission statement
- Have regular interactions with key business partners
Within 6 months, you will:
- Be fully integrated into the compliance program
- Oversee key strategic initiatives
- Provide subject matter expertise to key business partners
- Proactively work to identify and mitigate regulatory, legal and reputational risk
- Model Acorns’ cultural principles to other team members and employees
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 7+ years experience in Anti Money Laundering Risk Management with knowledge of AML practices
- FINRA Series 7 and Series 24 within 180 days of hire date.
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) certification preferred
- Robust knowledge of BSA, AML and OFAC regulations
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Strong analytical and decision-making/critical-thinking skills
- Strong writing skills; must be able to write clear and concise reports and communicate with management
- Project management skills with ability to work independently on multiple assignments and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Extensive knowledge of BSA/AML requirements, process implementation, programs, and relevant documentation
- Ability to act independently in analyzing AML/CFT risk and effectively research compliance regulations
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is how everyday consumers save & invest for the long term. To date, customers have invested over $15 billion with Acorns, much of it in spare change. By putting the tools of wealth-making in everyone's hands, Acorns has become the largest subscription service in U.S. consumer finance, serving over 10 million everyday Americans. Customers get automated investing in diversified portfolios, a simple retirement product, a bank account that helps people spend less to invest more, and bonus investments from 20k brands. Plus, everyday Americans can easily invest in their kids and get money news they can use, all from the same app. From acorns, mighty oaks do grow!
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to a diverse community:
Acorns is committed to building a diverse community of customers, partners, and team members. We believe that fostering diversity not only fuels creativity, but also challenges conventional thinking and helps us properly represent the unique experience of the everyday consumer that we serve.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $103,549 and $129,436; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, equity grants, and discretionary cash bonus awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employees will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.